This car is here for some freshening up. The 30 year old paint still looks good but up close it is getting tired. It is a good time for going through it. Some of the problem areas were known and some new ones have been found.
This is a nice starting point.
This is the undented area of the drivers door. I counted eight layers with no green paint in between. The owner knew this door was worked on before. The paint thickness measured very well on the rest of the car, proving the two paint jobs that are on it.
I started taking the dent out of the door before I took this picture. It was actually a little worse than this when I started.
Continually working the door, top to bottom, left to right to get it as straight as possible.
It is always very difficult to remove dents after someone else has tried to work on them.
It has come along very well.
The drivers front wheel well had been dented and rusted out.
The rust removed.
The process of building it back up.
It is hard to get a good picture with the glare. A little finishing work and it will look great.
This hole had body filler and cardboard in it.
The same process is used to rebuild the area.
This broken weld is the reason the passenger side has a sag in it. This will all be replaced.
Rust has eaten the end of the interior cross bar.(In green)
If you look closely, the seat belt mount has let go. The floor bottom on this side will be replaced with fabricated pieces.
Trying to grind the paint away unveiled over 1/2 inch of filler creating the shape in the door sill.
The backside didn’t look any better.
After all of te bad metal was removed it was evident how much work the area needed.
The car was sent out to 914 LTD for some specialized repairs.
When it came back, I could rebuild the jamb and outer skin areas.
The curve matches up to the template made off of the other side.
A skim coat is all that will be needed to finish out the panel.
I have used the two layers of paint to block the panels smooth.
It is amazing how nice a panel looks until it is blocked. I was able to tap most of the low spots up so they cleaned up.
Ready for primer.
Four coats of primer for block sanding as well as wet sanding.
Paint applied and the wheels back on, it is ready to spend some time drying.
All the rest of the panels are painted green.
The body has been wet sanded and ready for buffing.
Over the existing sound deadening sheet, a thick product from Cascade Audio Engineering was glued in to reduce the noise coming through.
The floor had two products applied. A thinner sheet similar in thickness to the common Dynamat products.
The thick mat was then glued to the the first mat as recommended by CAE.